Pages

Monday, August 5, 2013

Key Lime Yogurt Pie


You may recall that giant box of Cheerios I got for free and was trying to use up. Well, despite making another batch of peanut butter Cheerio bars, the bottomless Cheerio pit was still not exhausted (can you believe it?) You're probably thinking, Sarah, just throw out the dang box of Cheerios already. You won't go to hell. I know, I know. But I can be a real stickler about food waste, so I've been wracking my brain trying to think of how to finally mine the last of the Cheerio quarry. Somehow or other I started to wonder if crushed Cheerios could stand in for crushed graham crackers as a pie crust. Recently I've been craving a yogurt pie my grandma used to make with a chocolate Rice Krispy crust. If Rice Krispies can suffice as pie crust, why not Cheerios, eh? 

With this in mind, I decided to look for a yogurt pie recipe that I could try with a Cheerio crust. I ended up opting for a Greek yogurt-based key lime pie, chosen primarily for the fact that it doesn't contain any Cool Whip (or marshmallow snot, as I like to call it--seriously, have you ever read the ingredients in Cool Whip?) The result was a luscious, creamy dessert with no artificial ingredients.

So there. Now I'm FINALLY rid of that entire monolith Cheerio box. 

I'm freeeeeeeee!

Except......guess what came in the mail yesterday:

Noooooooo!!! (These ones are definitely getting donated to church.)

Greek Yogurt Key Lime Pie
(Heavily adapted from Cooking on the Side)

Ingredients:

1 1/3 c. crushed Cheerios (or graham crackers)
3 Tbsp. butter, melted
1 Tbsp. white sugar
1 c. plain Greek yogurt
1 c. key lime juice
1 14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk
2 eggs
whipped cream, for topping

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, combine crushed Cheerios or graham crackers, melted butter, and sugar. Press into the bottom and sides of a 10" tart pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Allow to cool before filling.

Whisk together Greek yogurt, lime juice, sweetened condensed milk, and eggs. Pour into prepared crust and bake approx. 25 minutes or until the custard is set but still slightly jiggly. Chill for at least two hours. Garnish with whipped cream.

Betcha wouldn't have guessed those are crushed Cheerios!

No comments:

Post a Comment